The organizers announced that based on the president's diagnosis of COVID-19, the debate would be practical.
Grow your business, Not your inbox
Stay up to date and subscribe to our daily newsletter now!
2 min read
This article has been translated from our Spanish edition using AI technologies. Errors can occur due to this process.
president Donald Trump said Fox Business that he will not be participating in the debate with the Democratic candidate next week Joe Biden after the Presidential Debate Committee announced that the follow-up to last Tuesday's chaotic debate would be virtual on October 15th.
"No, I'm not going to waste time in a virtual debate," he said in an interview with Biden.
Trump was diagnosed with COVID-19 a week ago, and the commission noted the need to "protect the health and safety of everyone involved in the second presidential debate."
Biden's assistant campaign manager, Kate Bedingfield, said in a statement, "Vice President Biden looks forward to speaking directly to the American people."
Trump's diagnosis was confirmed just 48 hours after Biden's personal discussion in Cleveland. Since then, Biden has gone through multiple tests for COVID-19, all of which came back negative.
If the virtual debate took place, it would not be the first time the candidates are not in the same room, according to the Associated Press. In 1960, the third debate between Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy aired while the two candidates were on opposite banks.